Saturday, January 27, 2018

No-Bake Almond Energy Balls

I’m usually super good at making healthy breakfasts, lunches, and dinners. I’m good at menu planning and choosing quick and easy recipes that keep me from veering off the diet path. The problem I have is in the in-betweens. I can load up on protein and fiber all I want, but I can’t stop my snacking habit. This is when I find myself derailed and “cheating” on my healthy diet plan. Thank goodness I now have these no-bake almond energy balls in my arsenal.

In order to keep myself on track, I’ve found it necessary to surround myself with healthy options (otherwise I’ll be reaching for that bag of chips in no time). These no-bake almond energy balls have been a complete lifesaver! They’re the perfect option for a quick breakfast when I don’t have time to make eggs or prepare a smoothie. They make an excellent snack, filling me up and satisfying my sweet tooth. I’ve even eaten them as a pre-workout protein boost and an after-dinner sweet treat.

I love them so much, I usually make a double or triple batch to make sure I have some on hand. They store well in the fridge and travel really easily for an on-the-go snack, too.

Forming The No-Bake Almond Energy Balls

The recipe couldn’t be simpler to follow. It only has six ingredients and almost all of those share similar measurements. I memorized this recipe without even trying after the second run! Once you combine all the ingredients, toss them in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. This helps them firm up and makes them much, much easier to roll into balls.

The first time I tried making them, I skipped this step because I was short on time. It ended up taking twice as long to roll the balls and my hands were positively covered with a sticky, gooey peanut-buttery mess. So, if you’re running short on time, throw them in the fridge for longer and roll them up when you get back.

I also started using a small ice cream scoop to form the balls. I learned this trick in the restaurant industry after hand-rolling hundreds of meatballs each night. If you spray the scoop with nonstick cooking spray, you can scoop up the batter into a ball shape. Then, all you have to do is roll the flat edge to make it perfectly round. Easy, peasy!

Customize Your Energy Balls

The best part about these no-bake almond energy balls is how easy they are to customize. If you’re allergic to some of the ingredients or just don’t like some of them, here are some common substitutions:

Play around with the nut butter – we like peanut butter and chopped peanuts, but you can substitute any nut butter you wish. Try out almond butter, cashew butter, or sunflower seed butter if you can’t have nuts. Feel free to make your own, too!

Make it dairy free – most semi-sweet chocolate chips contain dairy, so swap in dark chocolate chips instead. You can also use vegan chocolate chips, which are always dairy-free.

If you find yourself substituting too many of the ingredients, you could end up with too-dry or too-wet energy balls, so try not to play around with the basic proportions too much. Let us know in the comments what worked and didn’t work with this recipe! If you need any help with allergy substitutions, we’ll be happy to offer some suggestions.

No-Bake Almond Energy Balls

Prep Time: 35 minutes

No-Bake Almond Energy Balls

Yields: 1 dozen | Serving Size: 1 ball | Calories: 139 | Total Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 2mg | Carbohydrates: 18g | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 8g | Protein: 4g | SmartPoints: 5

Ingredients

  • 1 cup old-fashioned dry oat
  • 1/4 cup natural peanut butter
  • 1/4 cup agave syrup (optional honey)
  • 1/4 cup peanuts, chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips, recommend Enjoy Life Brand

Directions

  1. Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix until well combined.
  2. Place the mixture into the refrigerator for about 30 minutes or until the mixture as slightly set and easy to handle. Roll into 1 1/2 inch balls and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
  3. Serve immediately, or store refrigerated in an air tight container.
https://skinnyms.com/no-bake-almond-energy-balls/

For more energy-filled recipes, like our Facebook page, follow us on Pinterest, and subscribe to our newsletter.

The post No-Bake Almond Energy Balls appeared first on Skinny Ms..



source https://skinnyms.com/no-bake-almond-energy-balls/

No comments:

Post a Comment