Friday, January 26, 2018

5 Winter Breakfast Ideas to Warm You Up

As the months get colder, I know that my body starts craving warm, winter breakfast ideas. Sometimes bundling up just isn’t enough, and I find myself wanting something to not only sustain my appetite, but to warm myself up too.

Some mornings, the only thing worse than having to make the cold journey to my car to leave for work, is remaining cold once I get to work. If you’re on the same page as I am, you may also know that despite your body’s desire for warmth, over-indulging in unhealthy, warm favorites such as hot chocolate is not the best idea–especially in the mornings.

Now, I am a huge fan of that classic hot chocolate that not only warms up my hands as I hold onto it, but also warms up my whole body with the sweet flavor. However, once I realized that there are plenty of other warming breakfast options (that are also much more filling than just a drink) that warm me up and give me that sweet flavor, I stopped craving that classic winter drink.

So, join me in putting down that mug of sugary hot chocolate, or plate of French toast, or whatever the unhealthy dish may be. Replace that unhealthy dish with a new winter-esque breakfast food that is healthy too. In other words, turn to these 5 winter breakfast ideas to warm you up and fall in love with winter…or winter foods at least!

1. Dark Chocolate Pumpkin Oatmeal

This recipe uses rolled oats, pumpkin puree, unsweetened dark chocolate chips, and to sweeten things up the healthy way: honey. Honey is a great natural sweetener that provides tons of energy–great for exercising or, say, starting your day. The delicious fall flavors in this recipe are surely ones to cozy up to before heading out into the cold or to warm up to after a chilly outdoor run–my favorite!

2. Pumpkin Raisin Muffins 

I am a huge pumpkin flavor connoisseur. All of the pumpkin flavored foods are actually my favorite things about fall and winter.

So trust me when I say that our Pumpkin Raisin Muffins recipe is the perfect healthy solution for all of your pumpkin cravings. You know, those cravings that always seem to sneak up on you the same time those goosebumps do.

These muffins are also the perfect breakfast for when you’re in a hurry. I love making a batch or two so that I have a delicious breakfast for many days. I love toasting the leftover muffins and then topping them with either coconut oil as a butter substitute or some all-natural nut butter for a warm winter breakfast on-the-go.

3. Over Easy Eggs with Spinach and Creamed Feta

Sometimes, all you need is a plate full of savory eggs, vegetables, and cheese to warm you up. I know I do!

Not only does this recipe provide you with all of those things, but it also provides you with 11 grams of protein–that’s definitely enough to give you that energy boost to make it out that door and take on the chilly day!

If you don’t believe me, you should get in touch with my family and ask them. They’re sure to tell you that whenever I make it for myself, they come running into the kitchen asking me to make more. Like I said, sometimes some eggs, vegetables, and cheese is all you need!

4. Cinnamon Bun Pancakes

You can’t deny that no matter how committed you are to your health and fitness journey, every once in a while you find yourself craving a hot cinnamon bun as you walk to your car in the freezing cold months of winter. Well, with this recipe, you can stay committed to your health and fitness journey while also enjoying the comforting flavors of a cinnamon bun.

In fact, you can enjoy those comforting flavors with the flavors of those warm, buttery pancakes you often crave too. Why? Because this recipe combines both of them–and with only 15 grams of sugar and 8 grams of protein!

As someone with a major sweet tooth, these pancakes are a dream come true. And as someone with family members who also each have a major sweet tooth, I know that these pancakes are the perfect remedy for any cold morning.

Before you bundle up, get cooking!

5. Fried Eggs & Sweet Potato Hash

Sweet potatoes are always a staple item on my grocery list during the colder months. Their savory, warm scent and taste never disappoints. They serve as nutrient-packed ingredients that can be used in a variety of dishes–including this one!

Sweet potatoes are a good source of:

  • vitamin A
  • vitamin C
  • B vitamins
  • fiber
  • iron
  • potassium

Plus, they taste amazing! The sweet potato hash in this recipe is a healthier alternative to that usual side of homefries and also really takes this warming breakfast dish to a whole new level of comfort.

I find myself whipping this dish up on Sundays after sleeping in and recovering my muscles, and before beating the cold. Sundays should be for sweet potatoes in my book!

And, every winter day should be for warm winter breakfast ideas! Let us know which of these recipes is your favorite on those bitter, cold mornings in the comments below.

Don’t forget to check out our Facebook page, follow us on Pinterest, and subscribe to our newsletter for more delicious recipes and healthy lifestyle tips!

The post 5 Winter Breakfast Ideas to Warm You Up appeared first on Skinny Ms..



source https://skinnyms.com/5-winter-breakfast-ideas/

No comments:

Post a Comment