Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Peanut Butter & Chocolate Apple Bites

If there’s one thing I wish I could change about myself, it’s my overpowering, overwhelming, ruthless sweet tooth. Honestly, I don’t even know if I have enough adjectives to truly emphasize the power this great, undeniable force has over me. Alright, so maybe I sound a little dramatic, but my sweet tooth has led me down countless paths studded with gumdrops and chocolate kisses. Needless to say, it has tempted me into making some less-than-desirable snack decisions.

Dealing with my insatiable sugar appetite in the past goes something like this: That chewy, chocolate-draped macaroon eyeing me as I walk past my local bakery? Gotta have it. Krispy Kreme Fridays at work? Gotta participate. And the laundry list of sugary skeletons in my closet goes on and on.

I know the first step towards curbing these cravings involves cutting out sugar entirely, thus performing a full-blown detox. And I certainly have plans to do just that in the future! (Do you sense my enthusiasm?!)

But for now, I’ve begun by limiting my sugar intake and satisfying my cravings in a healthy, guilt-free way that might actually improve my health.

That’s right—you can actually treat yourself now and then to something sweet and delicious, without compromising your waistline.

As soon as I stumbled across this heavenly recipe for Peanut Butter & Chocolate Apple Bites, I believed in a higher power.

First of all, any recipe with an ingredients list including both chocolate and peanut butter has my undivided attention. I mean with decadent chocolaty goodness teaming up with rich, creamy peanut butter, who could refuse!?

We’ve all dipped apple slices in peanut butter before. In my experience, the classic snack made its way into my brown-bagged lunch almost every day, courtesy of Mom.

Here at SkinnyMs., we’ve given the nutritious duo a mouthwatering makeover. This recipe loads apple slices with creamy peanut butter, crunchy granola, and a drizzle of melted chocolate.

Besides tasting delicious, these apple bites look super festive. Peanut butter serves as the glue for the outer layer of granola, which sticks just perfectly without falling off. Meanwhile, chocolate drapes over this luscious snack beautifully.

As a bonus, they’re a breeze to whip up and take barely any time. Got 5 minutes? You’re good. Simply coat apple wedges with peanut butter followed by a layer of granola, and complete your masterpiece with a light drizzle of melted chocolate. Voila!

These decked-out apple quarters make the perfect appetizer for holiday parties and fall festivities. Serve them to your kids for after-school snacking, or a dessert you can feel good about!

Or, if you’re like me, you can enjoy them whenever a sweet tooth strikes! In moderation, this scrumptious snack actually boasts some impressive health benefits.

For example…

  • Apples provide a great source of dietary fiber, vitamin C, antioxidants and flavanoids. These powerful nutrients keep your immune system running strong, help lower your bad cholesterol, and fight dangerous free radicals.
  • Peanut butter contains vitamin E and bone-building magnesium. Meanwhile, the delicious spread packs a protein punch to keep you satisfied, and help curb cravings down the road.
  • Granola contains fiber, iron, unsaturated fats, and protein. To reap its nutritional benefits, opt for low-sugar granola packed with nuts and seeds, or check out some of these 13 Low Sugar Granola Recipes to Try This Month
  • Chocolate can lower blood sugar, curb the appetite, improve circulation, and keep your heart healthy, thanks to the powerful superfood cacao that makes up about 70% of semi-sweet chocolate. Just remember to consume in moderation!

Each juicy bite of these decorated apple quarters tastes rich and flavorful. Just one loaded slice will hit the spot, thanks to its fiber and protein content.

At last, a treat your sweet tooth and waistline will appreciate. Dive in!

Peanut Butter & Chocolate Apple Bites

Peanut Butter & Chocolate Apple Bites

Yields: 2 servings | Serving Size: 2 slices | Calories: 232 | Total Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 7mg | Carbohydrates: 27g | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 18g | Protein: 5g | SmartPoints: 10

Ingredients

  • 1 apple sliced in to quarters, core and seeds removed
  • 2 tablespoons fat-free no sugar added peanut butter
  • 2 tablespoons granola
  • 2 tablespoons semi-sweet chocolate, melted

Directions

  1. Carefully spread the peanut butter on to each apple wedge. Top with granola, pressing the granola into the peanut butter to help it stick. Drizzle the melted chocolate over top. Enjoy!
https://skinnyms.com/peanut-butter-chocolate-apple-bites/

For more scrumptious recipes and healthy lifestyle tips, like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest, and subscribe to our newsletter.

We need your feedback! Let us know what you thought about this article or anything else on the site.

The post Peanut Butter & Chocolate Apple Bites appeared first on Skinny Ms..



source https://skinnyms.com/peanut-butter-chocolate-apple-bites/

No comments:

Post a Comment